(Joan Jett, Alice Cooper, Dethklok, Misfits, Mastodon, High On Fire, Converge, Lamb Of God)
Royal Flush Book Six
Dedicated To The “Greatest Generation”
• Exclusive cover story / interview with Playboy’s Hugh Hefner, including a first-time-ever-printed 60-year-old autobiographical comic strip written and drawn by Hef. In homage, Royal Flush Book 6 features two foldout posters: centerfold by comics rock star Paul Pope and calendar by poster legend Brian Ewing. Plus, a Joan Jett flip cover with 3-D “smoke eyes” spot gloss varnish.
• Interviews with Joan Jett, Leslie Nielsen, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Brian Posehn, Jeffrey Ross, Jim Gaffigan, Ahmet Zappa, Jenna Jameson, Dethklok, Basil Gogos, Danny Trejo and more.
• Art and comics by Harvey Pekar, Rick Veitch, Peter Kuper, John Pound, Basil Gogos, Danny Hellman, Sean Pryor, Cojo, Aaron Augenblick, Scrojo, Robin Eley, Steve Chanks, Erik Rodriguez, Seldon Hunt, Ryan Dunlavey and many more.
NEW YORK, NY, OCT. 15, 2009 – If print is dead, then ROYAL FLUSH Magazine a rock and roll superhero zombie come back to life. Part pop culture mag, part rock art carnival, part comic book, and all irreverent fun, the annual Royal Flush Magazine experience returns with a bombastically bulging 112-page sixth book. The centerpiece: exclusive interview with, and tribute to Playboy’s Hugh Hefner, in which Hef opens up his vaults and reveals, for the first time, comic strips and art he created over 60 years ago. Among other tales, he tells Flush of his first discovering Superman, “I remember the afternoon in which my brother came home and told me about this character that was throwing cars, and jumping over buildings and I immediately started creating and drawing superheroes like Metallic Man, Marble Man., etc.” The vintage-Playboyish cover portrait of Hef was painted by Australian sensation Robin Eley, and in homage, this issue boasts two fold-out posters: a “Plaything of the Month” centerfold by comics rock star Paul Pope (Batman Year 100, Heavy Liquid) and calendar by rock poster kingpin Brian Ewing (Vans Warped Tour, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Melvins)
The issue is dedicated to the “Greatest Generation.” Men who fought in wars, dated broads, enjoyed stiff drinks, and most amazingly are still rocking including Hef, monster movie poster-art legend Basil Logos, cartoonists Jules Feiffer and Al Jaffee, and actor Leslie Nielsen, who gives a career spanning interview, from straight man to Duke of Deadpan.
• The “Ethnic Superfriends:” Apache Chief, Samurai, Black Vulcan, & El Dorado are inducted into Royal Flush Hall of Fame.
• Welcome to my Golf Course: Alice Cooper shares his tips, tricks and secrets from the dark side of the golf world.
• Star Wars quiz with adult film legend Jenna Jameson, proving you can be both hot and nerdy.
• World’s Finest: An exclusive look into the little-known friendship between the Marvel Universe comics visionary Jack “King” Kirby and iconoclastic rock freaknik Frank Zappa, as told by Ahmet Zappa. Boasting a deliciously cosmic illustration of “Frank Zappa as one of Jack Kirby’s New Gods” by Rick Veitch,
• Royal Flush’s salute to comedy, featuring fresh interviews with three of the funniest guys on the planet: Jim Gaffigan (King Baby, Jim) Brian Posehn (Sarah Silverman Show, Just Shoot Me) and Jeffrey Ross (Comedy Central Roast-Master General)
• LA Confidential: The stars of Showtime’s hit Californication give a peak into their sexually depraved third season - featuring interviews with stars Evan Handler and Madeline Zima!
• Another egregiously offensive installment of the world’s most politically incorrect comic, “Hispanic Batman Y Roberto” in which they visit Hugh Hefner in the Mansion and give him a “stern talking to.”
Actor Danny Trejo (Desperado, Spy Kids) hits the Royal Flush gym for this issue’s “How Much Ya Bench” bench-press challenge.
• Legendary horror artist Basil Gogos group-interviewed by Johnny Ace, Rob Zombie, Jerry Only (Misfits), David C. Chow (The Crow) , John Cafiero (Osaka Popstar) as well as the Royal Flush artist posse. Gogos educates, fascinates and gets into raucous debate with the fans of his seminal work, Famous Monsters of Filmland.
• The best tour of 2009 makes its first stop at Flush HQ as Cartoon Network’s Dethklok, of the hit series Metalocolypse joins forces with prog masterminds Mastodon, High on Fire and Converge for a multi-media assault on the senses.
• The Making of Wrath, Lamb of God’s mega-selling 2009 blockbuster album, with exclusive how-to lesson from K3n Adams, their official artist & collaborator.
• The Need for Speed! Virginia’s trash titans Municipal Waste take our Flush go-kart challenge - will they survive??• Osaka Popstar – the punk supergroup stops by and discusses its collaborative work with iconic Garbage Pail Kid artist John Pound.